Intense summer heat is increasing and it is becoming very difficult to get out of your home. But for working women, it is necessary to go outside for their jobs. Before getting your body exposed to the sun you should take proper precautions to protect not only your skin but also your hair too. The summer heat badly affects your hair and causes weathering and oxidative damage to the hair, making it dry, brittle, and stiff.
To protect your hair from summer heat you should take proper precautions. In this article, we are going to tell you about the harmful effects and ways to protect your hair from the summer sun. Scroll down to get more details.
In This Article:
- Effects of The Summer Sun Heat On Your Hair
- Ways to Protect Your Hair From Summer Heat
1. Here are the Common Negative Impacts of Summer Sun Heat on Your Hair.
- The harmful UV rays coming from the sun can penetrate your hair cuticles, causing damage like brittleness, dryness, and weathering.
- These UV rays also reach the cortex and cause pigmentation loss and protein degradation, resulting in severe hair damage.
- The summer heat can turn your hair lifeless and limp. In summer the atmosphere contains high humidity and this humidity may settle on your hair and weighs it down, resulting in limp hair.
- In summer the combination of sweat and dust increases major problems like dandruff, split ends, and hair fall.
- Hair helps in covering your scalp, but summer heat can be harsh on your scalp and causes sunburn and dryness. This can also badly affect your hair roots.
- In summer exposing your hair to the sun makes your hair drier. To protect your hair from dryness you may over conditioning and over-treating your hair and this may be a big mistake.
- You may also notice your hair more greasy, this is because of more sweat and sunscreen near your hairline.
- Summer sun heat may also lighten your hair this is because UV rays affect the melanin in your hair.
To avoid these problems you need to make sure to take adequate measures while stepping outdoors. Read further to know more about how to protect your hair from the sun.
2. Ways to Protect Your Hair From Summer Heat
To provide extra protection from summer heat we are going to list 15 tested and trusted ways to protect your hair from the sun. Check it out here.
1. Avoid Too Many Cosmetics
In summers your hair gets dry and can cause damage. Summer heat badly affects colored hair during summer. You should make sure to avoid any chemical hair treatments during this period whether at home or in the spa. But if you want to change the color of your hair, then do it one or two months before the sun hits hard. Try to use natural and organic ingredients while coloring your hair.
2. Shampoo With Care
While shampooing your hair you also need to take proper care. If you shampoo your hair daily then it may harm your hair. Too much use of shampoo can dry up your scalp and hair. Shampoo only on your scalp not on the hair directly, putting shampoo directly on hair tips will dry them out.
3. Use Conditioner
In summer you need extra moisture to protect your hair from dryness this helps in providing life to your hair. You may use some rinse-out conditioner according to your hair type and texture. You may also use condition before going to swim, don’t forget to wear a swimming cap after hair conditioning.
4. Shampoo After Swimming
If you go swimming then you may see some significant changes to your hair color due to the presence of chlorine in the swimming pool. Using regular shampoo after swimming can reduce the chances of damage from chlorinated water and UV rays.
5. Avoid Heat
To protect from heat damage you should avoid blow dryers in summer. Avoiding styling irons and curlers will also help. Let your hair be natural, extra heat from dryer, curlers, and styling iron can damage your hair.
6. Trim Your Hair
In summer you may see split ends and dry tips in your hair. Summer is the best time for a haircut but if you don’t like to shorten your hair then you may opt for small trim that will take care of the hair ends and bring them back to life to your hair.
7. Care For Your Colored Hair
If you have colored your hair then you need to take extra care during summer. Chemical treatments used during coloring your hair can cause dryness or fade to your hair. You should use hair care products specially made for colored or treated hairs. If you have recently colored your hair then you should avoid going out to the sun. You may also use a hat or a scarf while going out to the sun.
8. Use Sun Protection
If you have too much outdoor work then you must use a conditioner with SPF to protect your hair from damage. You may also wear a cap or scarf to cover your head. To keep your skin safe along with your hair you must use sunscreen products to provide an extra shield to your skin. After reaching your home don’t forget to wash your face and hair.
9. Try Co-Washing
Your hair gets much dirtier and dry in summer to avoid it you must use Co-Washing. Co-Washing means washing your hair with conditioner. For Co-washing first wet your hair apply conditioner for 2 minutes and rinse off. Regular Co-washing can cleanse your hair.
10. Drink Lots Of Fluids
You must also need to ensure that you are drinking enough amount of water daily. If you are not drinking enough water then all precautions may not work properly. Enough amount of water keeps your hair healthy and hydrated during summer. Include fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet like watermelon, cucumber, litchi, etc.
11. Night Treatment
Before sleeping apply a leave-in conditioner to dry and frizzy hair. After applying conditioner wrap your hair with the cover or a towel and then sleep.
12. Towel Gently
If you use a towel to dry your hair then friction can cause hair breakage. You must avoid rubbing your hair harshly to avoid hair breakage. Instead of rubbing your hair try pat drying.